Wednesday, February 24, 2010

HOW TO STOP COMING OVER THE TOP


HOW TO STOP COMING OVER THE TOP

SARASOTA, Florida - Whenever I'm asked why I went through the trouble of creating a new and unconventional golf swing rather than continue taking lessons my reply is simple. Because I didn't have the talent to do what the teaching pros wanted me to do.

In fact, according to those same pros, about 90% of all golfers who learn golf from them will return with the same problems and then some. Like they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The obvious question is "why do teaching pros continue to insist that their students try to learn things that are beyond their capabilities? Most golfers can't master an inside-out swing path but almost all golf teaching pros or golf video instructors insist that their students perform it.  Golf instruction methods vary but the one constant is that every pro will attempt to "cure" your over the top golf swing.

For readers who aren't familiar with the "over the top" golf swing, it's the innate movement your mind and body does naturally in order to make you hit the golf ball. The swing path is "outside-in" rather than "inside-out" which is the preferred method.

Would that everyone could master the inside-out swing path. The painful truth is that few of us can. So where does that leave the student of the game who wants to improve?

These days, there are a number of new methods being taught by non-PGA pros. Golf videos abound and Over The Top Golf is just one of them. I suspect that many accounts of how these methods were created are similar. In my case, I knew that I would never correct my over the top swing. One must acknowledge the absence of golf teachers who would agree to teach the right way of doing something wrong so I was basically on my own. Whether it was divine intervention, dumb luck or what have you, I discovered the five set-up changes that allowed me to use my old "over the top" swing to drive the ball both longer and consistently straight. If you knew me you'd choose "dumb luck" but I prefer to think of it as the work of a higher power..

Played yesterday with a Canadian couple, Doug and Norma, really nice people. Doug commented that he'd never seen anyone go after the ball like me. At one point there was even a "Happy Gilmore" comparison. Well, let me tell you, subsequent to every one of the approximately fifty times I "went at it" my body was balanced and facing the target as if I was actually a good golfer. Had my twenty foot downhill birdie putt not lipped out on the 18th hole the day would have been perfect.

I would be remiss if I didn't return to the subject of this blog post, How to Stop Coming Over the Top. Want my honest opinion? If you are athletic, coordinated and have the time for lessons and practice, just go do it! There's no mystery. A teaching professional should be able to bring out the best in you.

If you aren't the ideal candidate, however, I suggest you take a few lessons, learn the basics like a proper grip, club selection and the rules of golf. Next, take your new swing out to the golf course and have fun. Then when you have a pretty good sense of your surroundings, start absorbing more at your own pace. Just remember, should you be among the 90%+ who swing over the top, there's only one method that will teach you how to swing over the top correctly. By coincidence, it's called OVER THE TOP GOLF.



go at it hard





Keywords for this article: golf DVD, golf instruction, golf lessons, golf swing, golf tips, golf video, happy gilmore, inside-out swing, learn golf, over the top golf swing, swing, over the top, correct, teaching pro, golf, swing, over the top, lesson, instruction, eBook
Revised 09-03-2012